Wednesday, 24 March 2010

Course 8, week 4

James M. Week 4 Blog post.

I am off this week on Holidays (spring break). One of the many reasons I teach. It has been absolutly lovely...I am on Jeju Island, it is covered in orange trees...I am sitting in a Korean computer hang out place, called a PC Bong. There is one every block in this country. The downfall is everything is in Korean and I am having a difficult time using their search engine called NAVER to get to my walden page...but with that said, you can imagine I have not had much of an opportunity to work on my growth plans, one being to try to make sure I start to cite all my sources I use in the classroom as an example to my students. I have recieved a suggestion to create a page to keep all my sources on...I think I would also make this available to all my parents through my schools communication program called "Edline" program...I was talking to another teacher who has a blog that he updates through making an email posting...this would be very quick and painless for me to do as well as I have my email open all the time...except he said blogger has recently took this funtion out...but I will keep looking. It would make it so much easier if I did not have to log on, then I would probably do it, and my fellow teachers, parents and administrators could have access to my blogg, or better yet, i could embed the blog onto my Edline account so that it was public to the students and parents and they could see instant updates whenever I sent an email to my blogg. Does anyone else out there have a Blogg? Has anyone done an update through their email to their blogg? If so, let me know how it works. Thank you.

The second part of my growth plan was to share my technology knowledge with my peers. I was thinking there is nothing I could do while I am on holidays...but this is not true with technology I could create a blog posting/email/webpage/ning/jing to demonstrate some of the cool tools we have come in contact through our walden program... This would also give me an opportunity to practice some of the tools we have been assigned in our pevious courses. I find, the more I use the tool, and feel comfortable with, the more I use it in my class, and the more I want to share the knowledge with others. So the goal I have for next week when I get back is to make a lesson with some of the tools in it so I can practice with the students which will lead me to using it with my teaching peers.

1 comment:

  1. Linda to James
    I am glad your Spring break is going so well. It rained through mine and had too many things to finish enjoying it. But everyone students, teachers, administrator, etc. need a break and to enjoy it lets everyone get back in gear, refreshed and ready to learn when they get back.

    We do not have access to many tools in our school, so I cannot help you on updating a blog through your e-mail, sounds like something that would be efficient. However, I do agree with you on the more we use tools the better we are able to transfer that knowledge to our students. If the teacher is comfortable then it is easier for the student to become that way. Using technology will become natural. You will not even think about it, just use it. We have had access to so many tools through these courses, but it has been so fast on learning and using, that I hope to get time this summer to play with them and gain more confidence preparing and accessing for the next year. For accessing, is a critical role in increasing learning experiences. The main thing is, “As a teacher it is important to know whether how you teach, with or without digital technology, is effective in helping students learn the intended content” (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009, p. 163). If it is not effective, it needs adjusting.

    Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach (Laureate Education custom edition). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

    ReplyDelete