This weeks lesson sets out the goal of choosing, developing and implementing 2 areas for growth in regards to technology. According to Cennamo, Ross & Ertmer (2009) “as you set goals, take action, monitor your learning, and evaluate your progress, you take control of your own learning process. As a self directed lifelong learner, you’ll be able to respond to the rapid and continuous technological changes that inevitably will occur during your professional career, keep your skills up-to-date, and better meet the needs of your students today and in the future” (p.7). The authors go on to explain a strategy of using a “GAME” plan which stands for “Set goals...take action...monitor your learning...evaluate and extend your learning...” (Cennamo, Ross & Ertmer, 2009, p. 7).
The areas for growth I would like to focus on are taken from the “The ISTE National Educational Technology Standards (NETS•T) and Performance Indicators for Teachers...standard 4...Promote and Model Digital Citizenship and Responsibility...” and “...standard 5...Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership” (National Education Standards for Teachers, 2008). To improve in standard 4, I would like to focus on “advocate, model, and teach safe, legal, and ethical use of digital information and technology, including respect for copyright, intellectual property, and the appropriate documentation of sources” (National Education Standards for Teachers, 2008). In the culture where I live, copying of assignments, tests, dvd’s, etc is widely acceptable. To implement my GAME strategy, take action to have all my handouts have references, after one month I can ask my students if they have noticed anything different about the handouts from the past month. The students can help me monitor my actions. I will be able to evaluate myself as well to see if I have learned anything from the practice. Do other people have any suggestions on how to make it an easy, seamless process of referencing all your resources you use?
The second GAME plan will be to set the goal from standard 5 to “contribute to the effectiveness, vitality, and self-renewal of the teaching profession and of their school and community” (National Education Standards for Teachers, 2008). The action plan will be to offer a monthly 5 minute show and tell of new technology resources I am implementing in my classroom. I will monitor the effectiveness of this strategy by asking people to email if they need further input. I will be able to evaluate the situation to see if fellow teachers are finding success with using tecnology in the classroom. I think this will be the most difficult standard to facilitate. Does anyone else have suggestions on how to jump start a lethargic staff?
Reference
Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach (Laureate Education custom edition). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.
National Education Standards for Teachers (NETS-T) located at http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForTeachers/2008Standards/NETS_T_Standards_Final.pdf.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
James -
ReplyDeleteFirst, as an English teacher there is no greater crime than plagiarism so kudos to you for making an effort to cite your sources. The only easy way I have of citing my work is using the citation machine easybib.com. You just input the info into the various dropdown menus and the site generates and formats the citation for you. I also point out to my students where I located the sources and the citation as that is now something they look for and try to bust me on (they're 11th grade).
I like your second plan of action to do a mini show and tell of things that are transpiring in your classroom. I worked in a school where part of our professional development was to showcase a particularly effective lesson to our professional development team (we were divided up randomly)- we only had to do it once within each marking period. At first I thought what can I learn from a math or science teacher - their curriculum is so different that language arts. Boy was I wrong! Truly inspiring teaching techniques and strategies were gleaned from those weekly shows. I think you may not be able to convert the masses all at once but I am certain you would be able to "turn on the lights' for at least one and the two of you can progress from there. And, maybe people aren't as lethargic as they seem - maybe they are just waiting for someone else to take the leap and that will inspire them to follow suit.
Good luck with your plan.
Maria Meza
Linda S. to James
ReplyDeleteReferencing all your resources is something that has become harder since we are capable of finding and using more and more information as our world changes and technology grows. Taking these classes through Walden University has really made me realize this. Although a couple of classes back an instructor advised us to make a bibliography page and save it on our computers, where we could copy and paste with no trouble. As the course progressed and even courses later I have done this and added new ones to it as needed. It has made that part of the lesson just a couple of clicks. In addition, as I use information from the Internet, most sites have the works cited which makes it easier to copy and paste these. It is important for the creators of the work to get the credit; these few things have helped me considerably.
In addition, on your second GAME plan Vicki Davis mentioned, “It is important for teachers to remember what ever they are teaching there is probably someone out there willing to collaborate” (Laureate Education, Inc., 2009). I have thought about this a good bit. For the past couple of months when I discuss something we have been working on through Walden with teachers I work with, they act like they have no clue what I am saying or even if they want to. When I get the time (hopefully this summer) I would like to reach out across the web, working to hook up with other schools and teachers. If I can get this going, enriching the content area for the students, they will discuss it with enthusiasm in other classes and maybe some of my peers will investigate what is happening in our class and join in.
Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2009). Program four. Enriching Content Area Learning Experiences with Technology Part two [Motion picture]. Integrating technology across the content areas. Baltimore: Author.
Lori to James:
ReplyDeleteGreat plans James. I admire your idea to reach out to your staff. I hope that it is received well. I think about asking my colleagues to attend a meeting and cringe to think of the apathy you might face, so know that what you are doing is the right thing to do and stand tall. Even if only one person learns something new you are successful.
I do have a suggestion for your 5 minute show and tell. I suggest you use a web cam or something similar and make a little video and share it on teacher tube or something like that. You can send your link to your staff that does not attend and connect with possibly even more people then just your colleagues.
If you are holding the 5 minute show and tell, you just have to record what you did with the group. Any way , just an idea and practice for more technology!
GOOD LUCK! LORI POWERS