Wednesday, 17 March 2010

Walden course 8, week 3 discussion

My personal development goal was in standard 5...Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership” (National Education Standards for Teachers, 2008).
This week I took a huge step forward for myself, and presented at a teacher conference. I worked with a co-worker to develop the presentation …and just survived…there are so many things I would like to go back and do again…I felt very deflated after the conference as I new we could do better. Teachers do not like to make mistakes, but it is a great experience to feel what students go through each day in our classes as they struggle to try something new. . I have learned from previous courses that to integrate technology, you need a little bit of technology knowledge, a bit of courage, and a whole log of support from your peers. I have had great support from my fellow team member who has a very positive attitude to trying anything out even if it does not work out, so long as it makes good pedagogical sense. I also know I need to keep presenting and sharing, as only through collaboration will I grow.

My second area of focus growth was standard 4...Promote and Model Digital Citizenship and Responsibility...” (National Education Standards for Teachers, 2008). This is a difficult one for me as I get very lazy citing sources. For me to make it work, I need to make it so painfully easy, I will not have an excuse. Someone suggested last week to create a word document to paste URL addresses and other Bibliography information into for easy access. I will try doing it this week…does anyone know of a desktop application that would allow a one page word processing document to be open all the time? Or do I just create a link on my desktop to a word document and open Microsoft office up each time I am surfing? How do I get my students to do the same thing? Do they create a Google Document page? Any ideas?


National Education Standards for Teachers (NETS-T) located at http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForTeachers/2008Standards/NETS_T_Standards_Final.pdf.

No comments:

Post a Comment